Tuesday 18 October 2011

Project Christmas-Coat

So for my first post I'll be jumping right in ...

The project: A new coat for my mum.

The problem:
I want to sew this coat as a Christmas present so I'll have to work on it when she isn't there. That's a very limited amount of time. And she doesn't trust my sewing skills so she won't let me take her measurements.

The solution:
Mum is on a business trip in a few weeks, so I'll have to make sure I clear as much time as I can  during that period. I will "steal" her measurements from her clothing. As I do the laundry that won't be a problem. My biggest concern is the bust area. I know I'd have to do an FBA on any commercial patterns. But that's what bras are for - right? I'll also be making a sloper (that's a first for me). She'll probably figure it out when she has to put it on so I might just make it into a blouse. Discretion is my aim here!

Inspiration: 
My mum used to have a coat that looked ever so endearing. The best description I can come up with is a warm  baby doll with sleeves and a big Peter Pan Collar. Sadly she threw it away before I had a chance of tracing the pattern. Why would she do such an awful thing?

Mum looked youthful and in need of protection in that coat. However she wants to have people respect her and listen to her. Some people think her quite severe and aggressive, because of that. So I think I'll keep the big, rounded collar to make her appear sweeter. I'll add  princess seams, because they are timeless and lady-like and make everyone look good. The empire waistline and under bust band are also a keeper for all of those reasons.

More as soon as I have halfway presentable sketches. I'm of to the drawing board!


0 comments: