Monday 21 November 2011

So I thought I'd beat the stomach flu ...

... and then it kept me in bed for almost three weeks :( Between sleeping, reading other blogs and - um well you know - ... I actually got crafty ^^ So what DID I do?

Stuff I want to fix BEFORE christmas ...

  • I drafted slopers based on my new measurements. I'm probably going to have to make new ones again in a month or so. Loosing weight can really annoy you. But twice as much dancing is worth it.
  • I started sewing these trousers / leggings based on my new slopers. I choose to experiment with shifting the side seams. Even though they're not finished yet I wear them around the house. They just fit that well.
    The wrinkling will disappear ...
    ... as soon as the placket is closed
  • I finally took in the under bust band on my favourite bra. I have tiny bone structure and lots of mass on top. Ergo: Bra size 26-28 H. Only I can't find any bras in that size. Therefore my bra bands keep sliding up over my shoulder blades. Well not any more!
If I like the length I'll do a neater finish ...
  • I restarted a project I'd just showed into a corner a while ago. My feet are weird. They're small in all directions. Having short feet is typical for dancers (they actually shrink ...) Having a very small arch isn't. Nor are slender feet. I'm rambling aren't I? So anyway I decided to make my own shoes. I don't like moccasins. Even though those I have made turned out really well. Instead I wanted to make my own ballerinas. I also decided not to use any glue with them. I want to be able to throw them in the washing machine! But when I started sewing the insoles everything went wrong. The sewing machine was skipping stitches and badly stretching the felt layer.  I'm going to spare you a picture of those insoles! That's about when I gave up. But now I carefully undid all the stitching. I used a lot of pins. I never use pins so this is a big change for me. I'm also sewing the two layers together by hand.
A big thanks to you for choosing to put up with my rambling and start following my blog. :) Now I don't feel like I'm writing to myself.

 
Butterfly

 


2 comments:

Carolyn said...

I'm so impressed that you are making your own shoes... awesomely clever! I wouldn't even know where to start... like getting materials and all; did you take a course?

Butterfly said...

They're more like slippers. But ballerina slippers. I took apart an old pair of ballerinas that never really fit to see how they where sewn together. Then I took about a gazillion measurements of my feet and drafted a pattern based on that. I'm still not done with sewing though.